Vendor cooperation?

gcarter at valinux.com gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Sep 7 15:37:46 GMT 2000

rparker at VPR.net wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Your book was a lifesaver for me

Thanks.  I glad it helped.

> I am right now in the process of being 'bullied'
> by Epicor into setting up an NT/W2K server in order
> to upgrade a business application called Platinum.
> Not to embroil you in a controversy, but I was
> wondering (as a really small company) what I can
> do to help the 'perception' that Linux/Samba isn't
> an appropriate platform to run business critical
> applications?

That depends on if you are locked into a
vendor that doesn't support your platform.
If you're not locked in, then switch to a vendor
that supports what you need.

Samba is in a little bit of a different position
since if it just needs and NT file and print server,
we can pretty much figure it out (if things don't
work).  The problem is that without a good estimate
of the number of Samba installs, it is hard to
throw that weight around.  This is why I recommended
a grass roots effort.

> I also just wanted to sort of send this along as an
> FYI. My vendor (Rick at d-b-s.com) is more than willing to
> go the samba/linux route but he cautions me that
> support from Epicor will be non-existent if we go that
> way, so it's not his issue) By way of explanation,
> I got the following exchange forwarded to me from my him.

>> We have not looked into this platform at all. My last
>> discussions with development was that they would look at
>> it only if there was enough demand but the thought
>> was that accounting did not belong on a free form O\S.

This is a shame as I think other companies are
willing to put finiancial data on Linux (I know of one
in particular but cannot mention it).  I think Linux
will continue to grow in the server market (which is what
these people should be looking at).

Overall, I thought Jean-Francois' comments werethe best.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw