VFS Implementation and user authentication

Brad Sahr bsahr at macromedia.com
Wed Sep 6 22:03:39 GMT 2000

Jeremy,

When a user connects to a Samba share, it appears to me that the user is
authenticated by smbd and then the VFS is notified 'after the fact' via a
call to the connect() function within the VFS. I need to have a remote
system authenticate a user before [s]he is hooked up to the VFS. I could do
this if Samba supplied the user's password along with the already supplied
username.

In the future, I need to work with LDAP. I don't see anything in the VFS
associated with LDAP either, but there clearly is ldap support in Samba. Any
help understanding how the VFS could hook up with LDAP would be appreciated.

Jeremy, I see you refer to a 2.2.x release of Samba that <may|may not> have
the VFS functionality. Does this product roadmap have any visibility to
those of us outside the Samba developement team?

Brad