proposed oplock changes [Was Re: Any interest in swat enhancement]

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 16:35:36 GMT 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> [...]
> The plan is to get rid of the current ad-hoc UDP messaging used for
> the oplock implementation and instead add a generic messaging layer to
> smbd and nmbd. A tdb would be used to store a queue of messages for
> each process and the smbd would check this queue when a signal is
> received.
>
> We then rip out all the udp messaging code in oplock.c and instead do
> something like:
>
>   message_send(pid, MSG_OPLOCK, (void *)&some_struct, sizeof(some_struct));
>
> I mainly want to put this in place because I don't like the current
> use of UDP for this (apart from the denial of service possibilities it
> is just ugly!)
>
> As a side effect we can add a MSG_DEBUG option that allows the debug
> level to be set. Similarly for messages that allow the config file
> to be re-loaded, connections dropped, oplocks broken etc.
> [...]

Ah!  Any idea of a timescale?

We run a large Samba 2.0.7 installation (many hundred simultaneous
connections onto a Solaris 2.x server).  We are getting occasional, weird
oplock problems, which are proving slippery even to grasp, let alone to
dissect.  (It seems to be related to users in classrooms switching to
another machines when something has already gone wrong on their first...)

If the current oplock implementation will be around for several months,
then it is well worth us continuing to chase this will-o'-the-wisp.  But
if your change above is "coming soon", then it would be more productive
for us to wait to 2.0.8alpha1 (or whatever it will be called) and see if
our intermittent problem persists, or disappears, or transmogrifies...

[ Although I'm reluctant to try CVS versions in such production use, we
have happily tried alpha/beta (trial release) versions in the past. ]

Could you indicate an approximate timescale, please?

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :