Any interest in swat enhancement

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Wed Sep 6 02:29:46 GMT 2000

I have a cunning plan for a change in the internals of Samba that will
make this sort of option easy (changing the debug level on an
individual process etc)

The plan is to get rid of the current ad-hoc UDP messaging used for
the oplock implementation and instead add a generic messaging layer to
smbd and nmbd. A tdb would be used to store a queue of messages for
each process and the smbd would check this queue when a signal is
received.

We then rip out all the udp messaging code in oplock.c and instead do
something like:

  message_send(pid, MSG_OPLOCK, (void *)&some_struct, sizeof(some_struct));

I mainly want to put this in place because I don't like the current
use of UDP for this (apart from the denial of service possibilities it
is just ugly!)

As a side effect we can add a MSG_DEBUG option that allows the debug
level to be set. Similarly for messages that allow the config file
to be re-loaded, connections dropped, oplocks broken etc.

I know tdb isn't the ideal mechanism for this (doing a queue with tdb
is ugly) but it seems like the best option available to us.

Cheers, Tridge