freebsd

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tue Oct 31 11:14:38 GMT 2000

eskimo wrote:

> while i'm emailing, here's my issue:
>
> i'm using samba 2.0.7 as a pdc in freebsd 4.1.1
> freebsd doesn't allow me to have to character '$' in the username, so this
> means i can't go 'smbpasswd -a -m machinename'.
>
> is there some fix that would allow me to easily add an nt workstation to the
> domain? right now, i isolate the machine i want to add to the network w/ my
> linux box that has samba installed and an identical MACHINE.SID or whatever,
> and i use linux to create the account, and when it's done, i copy the
> appropriate part to my fbsd's smbpasswd file. kinda retardedly complicated.

If you want I made back in time a patch to samba 2.0.7 to not need to
have workstation names in systems passwd, you may find it at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/9757/samba.html
I've tested with samba DC and NT4 sp5 as client and had no problems (a
little test period is adviced anyway)!

have fun,
Simo.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451