ASN.1 and some fun...

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Mon Oct 30 21:14:27 GMT 2000

[Thanks to Peter Samuelson for fixing his archives to include Message-Id
 headers tarting in October... :)]

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Mayers, Philip J wrote:
> Hohoho... I've just had a real chuckle...
>
> The serious stuff first - we're going to need a GSSAPI library that can
> implement SNEGO (we knew that already). I don't know of any GPL ones, so
> we're going to have to write one. This has the advantage we can hook in and
> intercept the NTLM mechanism much more easily, too.

I think the NTLM stuff is not done in GSS-API/SPNEOG in W2K.

Heimdal. http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal/

> Thoughts?
>

> Now for the humorous event of the evening:
>
> If the extended security flags option in Flags2 of the SMB is set, the
> NegProt response payload will take a different form. The first 16 bytes are
> the server GUID (hence my earlier question). The remainder is the ASN.1
> encoding of the SNEGO token.
>
> As detailed in the presentation by Craig Russell from Unisys, MS clients
> seem to send the wrong OID for the Krb5 mechanism - they send (for the ASN.1
> heads):
>
> .1.2.840.48018.1.2.2 (encoded as 2A 86 48 82 F7 12 01 02 02)
>
> It should be:
>
> .1.2.840.113554.1.2.2 (encoded as 2A 86 48 86 F7 12 01 02 02)
>
> In other words, they managed to get bit 3 of octet 4 toggled off, when it
> should be on. All Win2K clients (certainly pre-SP1) show this behaviour.
> Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... Laugh, I nearly died...

I think there's two Kerberos GSS mechanism OIDs, because the original
spec was superceded by a new spec. Look it up, maybe the OID they use
isn't "wrong," just outdated.

> Regards,
> Phil

Nico