Samba 2.2.0 password level = x seems broken

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Oct 30 10:41:52 GMT 2000

Hi,

I just replaced my Samba 2.0.7 server with Samba 2.0.0 current on my laptop
and could no longer access my shares from the VMware Win95 that was running
on my LapTop.

The version of Win95 that I run insists on sending uppercase passwords in
plaintext mode.

This suggests that the 'password level = x' stuff is broken. I have not
looked at the code yet, and have fixed the problem by moving to encrypted
passwords.

It is wonderful how you can replace Samba and fix things in the background
and Windows can just keep on accessing the files ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com
Author, Special Edition, Using Samba