VFS and signals

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Fri Oct 27 23:51:34 GMT 2000

Brad Sahr writes:

> It might be handy for the VFS to be notified when smbd receives a signal.
> For example, if smbd segmentation faults, this might give the VFS the
> opportunity to do some cleanup prior to the process going away. It might
> also be handy for the VFS to reread any configuration files when a SIGHUP is
> received, as smbd does now.

I'm not sure how much you can do if a segfault happens.  Memory
corruption may have occured and trashed some data structures that
the vfs is relying on for cleanup.

> Is there another way to achieve the same functionality? I'm suspecting that
> a process only gets a single signal handler.

Have you thought of registering a message handler using the new
message passing system?  Depending on what you want to do, you
may be able to use this somehow.  The message code is already
used to force elections, printer update notifications, and
changing debug levels for individual smbds.  Look at the
source for the smbcontrol program.

Regards,

Tim.