Windows 2K plaintext passwords and profiles

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Fri Oct 27 06:10:18 GMT 2000

Chris,

[this had better been on samba, not samba-technical]

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:15:16 +0100 (BST), Chris Hines wrote:

>I have a number of windows 2000 machine which are not in a domain
>connecting to a samba server 2.0.7 configured to use plaintext
>passwords.

>If you net use the samba server the first attempt fails cos the samba
>server says the password is invalid and the user is prompted for a
>password.

That's Windows' way of telling you you're sending a plaintext password
over the wire. There is nothing you can do within Samba to change
this.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.