Question about "dummy" in loadparm.c

Scott Gifford sgifford at tir.com
Thu Oct 26 02:53:45 GMT 2000

In a patch I just submitted, I wasn't sure what to do about the dummy
array that appears around line 366 of loadparm.c:

      char dummy[3]; /* for alignment */

It wasn't clear what size word boundaries this is intended to align
the structure on.  Further, doesn't the

    #ifdef WITH_UTMP
      BOOL bUtmp;
    #endif

above it make it not-always-right, since the size of the structure
will change depending on that variable?

And doesn't a decent compiler take care of this for you, anyways, if
optimizations are turned on?

Anyways, I wasn't sure what to do with it when I added a BOOL to the
structure, so I just left it along.  If it needs to be changed for my
"readonly hack" patch to not cause performance penalties, I would be
thankful if somebody who knows what it should be would change it
before it gets applied to anything.

Thanks!

-----ScottG.