Winbind & other Q's

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Oct 24 14:44:48 GMT 2000

Hey Zink :-)

Zink88 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just read the winbind paper off the main site. Just a
> little confused :-) Is the PAM module required
> to authenticate domain users onto a samba share while
> generating a dynamic UID/GID for them? I don't need
> to update passwords or authenticate for anything besides
> samba. Is only the NSS module needed for that. I don't have
> PAM on my system and I'd rather not have to install it :-)

Good question.  IRC winbindd is what generates the uid
so PAM should not be necessary.  Of course I would recommend
Trying this out.  Tim Potter and Tridge worked on this
so if need be I can bug them for an definitive answer.

Just curious, but what server OS are you running?

> Another thing is the smb.log file constantly is reporting
> something like "nt_transact_ioctl not implemented".
> This normal/ignorable?

It is for informational purposes.

> Finally, the "Printers" icon seems to always appear
> in newer development samba versions (not in 2.0.7),
> even with "load printers = false". Is there anyway to shut
> this off in 2.2/3.0, as it is confusing some of my users.

The Printers folder will always appear for clients
that support MS-RPC (and the SPOOLSS class of
printing functions)...namely WinNT/2000.  You can turn
off the Add Printer Wizard with

	'show add printer wizard = no'

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com