Winbind & other Q's

Zink88 zink88 at angelfire.com
Mon Oct 23 05:51:43 GMT 2000

Hi all,

I just read the winbind paper off the main site. Just a little confused :-) Is the PAM module required to authenticate domain users onto a samba share while generating a dynamic UID/GID for them? I don't need to update passwords or authenticate for anything besides samba. Is only the NSS module needed for that. I don't have PAM on my system and I'd rather not have to install it :-)

Another thing is the smb.log file constantly is reporting something like "nt_transact_ioctl not implemented". This normal/ignorable?

Finally, the "Printers" icon seems to always appear in newer development samba versions (not in 2.0.7), even with "load printers = false". Is there anyway to shut this off in 2.2/3.0, as it is confusing some of my users.

Thanks for any help, and keep up the excellent work!

--Zink