win95 share attack ... ;)

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Fri Oct 13 13:59:57 GMT 2000

"John E. Malmberg" wrote:

> > > Michael Glauche wrote:
> > >
> > > in case you don't allready know that you should not share
> > > data on a win9x/me system:
> > >
> > > http://www.nsfocus.com/english/homepage/sa_05.htm
>
> It also only appears to affect plain text passwords, no longer the default.

	The hash is plaintect-equivalent: unless win9x/winME
	is using the newest NT algorithm, it's still quite
	vulnerable.

	I wonder if Luke is still on the list: he and several
	of the other gurus could probably tell us right off
	the tops of their head(s)!

> Since this is mainly a server side concern, are any versions of SAMBA SMBD
> vulnerable to it?

	We do support 9x, so I'd bet as much as $.05 we are (;-))

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com