good smb client implementation by using the kernel

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Wed Oct 11 11:04:37 GMT 2000

> > Would it be possible to supply smb
> browsing/listing/reading/writing by using
> > a sort of userfs (kernelspace) and a daemon taking care of
> the actual
> > filesystem stuff (userspace). It would allow users to just
> cd /smb/workgroup
> > ; ls ; cd computer ; ls ; cd share ... etc.
> >
> > Can this be done ?
>
> On linux:
>
> smbfs can do (most of) the listing/reading/writing bit.
>
> the browsing should be possible to do with autofs. It is
> possible to feed
> the output of a program to autofs, so a program that searches for
> available computers and generates an autofs map from that. Or
> something.
>
> This has come up before, there is an archive of the autofs mailinglist
> somewhere. There should be some more details there.
>
> But this is very linux specific.

On AmigaOS:

We have a custom filesystem handler that
is configured with custom mountlist settings.

I have some docs about it here:

http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/mount.htm

Shares can now be mounted as drives.
You can even try run defrag on it ;)

Also, I have varius scripts that will use output
from smbclient -L to create an virtual "network Neigborhood" thing.

/browse.dat could be used for this ?

Cheers
Ulf
http://www.amigasamba.org