2.2: problems with nsswitch (linux 2.2)

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Oct 10 20:07:02 GMT 2000

JHT:

The WINS failover code is included with the Alpha but it isn't finished.
The key change is that lp_wins_server() should not be used directly.  Once
WINS failover is working, the lp_wins_server() function will return a
list of IPs, not a single IP.  That list will be read by the functions in
lib/wins_srv.c and managed there.  It will be updated automatically, so
there's no need to call lp_wins_server().

Instead, use wins_srv_ip().  This function will return the current WINS
server.  If the WINS server fails, the next server in the list will become
current.

This isn't finished yet because I have some unanswered questions about
the workings of UNICAST_SUBNET.  Jeremy was going to work through that
with me but he hasn't had time.  The code, as is, doesn't "get in the
way".  It simply doesn't do the failover yet.

Chris -)-----