good smb client implementation by using the kernel

Jelmer Feenstra spark at dds.nl
Tue Oct 10 19:19:50 GMT 2000

On Tuesday 10 October 2000 21:17, Urban Widmark wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Jelmer Feenstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A friend of mine and I had the following idea, I'm looking for some
> > comments/suggestions on the matter :
> >
> > Would it be possible to supply smb browsing/listing/reading/writing by
> > using a sort of userfs (kernelspace) and a daemon taking care of the
> > actual filesystem stuff (userspace). It would allow users to just cd
> > /smb/workgroup ; ls ; cd computer ; ls ; cd share ... etc.
> >
> > Can this be done ?
>
> On linux:
>
> smbfs can do (most of) the listing/reading/writing bit.
>
> the browsing should be possible to do with autofs. It is possible to feed
> the output of a program to autofs, so a program that searches for
> available computers and generates an autofs map from that. Or something.
>
> This has come up before, there is an archive of the autofs mailinglist
> somewhere. There should be some more details there.
>
> But this is very linux specific.
>
> /Urban

Come on ! We need a better solution than the autofs one. It's just a dirty
way of getting smb usable under linux :( The right way IMHO would be to have
something like userfs (coda does it this way) in combination with a userspace
daemon (with the actual smb code) to allow easy & fast usage of the "network
neighbourhood" available (sorry for the windows words).

Jelmer Feenstra.