[Fwd: C++]

gcarter at valinux.com gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Oct 10 18:51:35 GMT 2000

Jelmer Feenstra wrote:

> And the current libsmb project is rather dead, we
> actually need a good implementation of the
> clientside SMB functionality wrapped up in a nice
> library (preferably C++ I guess). However, talking
> about this has happened for about a few weeks now and
> nothing was decided on this matter (for I can tell).

Talking about Samba being implemented in C++?  That
won't happen unless all developers concurrently decide
to rewrite 200,000+ LOC from C to C++.  No big win.
Don't get me wrong.  I like C++.  Would be my preference
for a new project probably.

The bottom line in that a conversion to C++ would not be
cost effective given the current investment in the code base.
No one can guarentee that C++ would make Samba more managemable,
portable, than it already is.  SMB is the ugly part. :-)

If however, you were talking about a C++ based smb library,
then what is the question again?

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org