Samba PDC feature release proposal

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Sat Oct 7 05:13:51 GMT 2000

Folks,

Given the feedback from everyone, here is the feature
implementation and release proposal I'm throwing out
there.

See the updated Roadmap at

	http://us4.samba.org/samba/development.html

also for more goodies.

This plan allows us to set given milestones for testing
and release.  This does not mean that features in
release 2 are not important for a PDC.  This is just
a means or ordering the implementation so we can
get a stable release out there as soon as the
acceptance criteria is met.

Note that I've not included Exchange plugins here.
I think I would consider that to be a separete project
(beyond this scope).

Release 1:
	* Domain logon support for Windows NT 4.0 SP3+ and
          Windows 2000 clients
	* User and group enumeration by domain
	  member services such as assigning users to
	  NTFS ACLs and share permissions.
	* Support for the full range of user profile
	  settings such as valid logon hours, password
	  expiration, profile location, home directory, etc...

Release 2:
	* Participation in Windows NT 4.0 SAM replication
	  protocols both as a Primary Domain Controller
	  and as a Backup Domain Controller

Release 3:
	* Ability to initiate and maintain Inter-Domain
	  Trust Relationships in an existing Windows
 	  NT multi domain network.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org