new smb.conf option

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Oct 6 21:27:40 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

> I'm a little fuzzy on this.  Just for clarifcation.
> Are all user accounts on a PDC considered to be
> domain accounts?

Yes - on a PDC. They are local accounts on a member server.

> I always get lost in the domain vs. local groups on
> a PDC.  domain groups would be available via the group
> enumeration dialogs on NT clients.  What purpose
> to local groups have on a Samba server?

On an NT member server all defined groups are local - and
they can contain domain groups within them.

On a Samba member server this is not the case, as groups
cannot contain groups within UNIX.

I see what JF is trying to do - use a list to make an
artificial distinction between the groups we report back
as being local and those we report back as being domain,
as under UNIX they're all local.

Hmmmmm.

Jeremy.