VFS and tdb_lock

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Thu Oct 5 17:33:45 GMT 2000

Brad Sahr wrote:

> I failed to express the second half of my question. And this is - How long
> must the file dev/inode information remain constant for the locks to work
> correctly? This unique information is used to create the key for the tdb
> hashchain lock. Jeremy indicated that a VFS must provide POSIX compliant
> file semantics. In this particular VFS, files don't usually exist on the
> local file system and I'm hoping to understand how I can address Samba's
> requirements.

As long as any running smbd holds an open reference to
the file. With oplocks this can be quite long. You could
probably try and get "good enough" POSIX semantics for your filesystem
be creating a semi-persistant inode by some form of name hashing with
collision detection.

I believe this is what smbfs does - Volker can you comment ?

Jeremy.