Urgent Fix/Problem With Printing

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Tue Oct 3 19:43:08 GMT 2000

papowell at astart.com wrote:
> I hate to admit this,  but I am baffled at a good solution.
> The following have come to mind:
>
> a)  Use the 'magic id' of previous releases.
>
>     Negative:  difficult/impossible for users to identify their
>     jobs.
>
> b)  Add a 'majic cookie' to the end of the file name to
>     make it uniq.  This is easy to do if it is the printer queue
>     name.
>
>     Negative: longer job name.

	Hmmn: the underlying problem appears to be
	non-uniqueness of print job names, when being spooled.
	However, the user is unique, as is the ordinal number
	of the job.  How about
		39.davecb.IMAPmailsrv1.mitre.orgfetch
	where davecb is the user, 39 is a queue-specific
	number (or a user-and-queue-specific number if
	we want to avoid locks)?

	This can be optionally filtered to present just
	the filename for a given user when communicating
	with the client, as only the spooler really cares
	about the other stuff.

--dave
ps: You name seems familiar: did Drew and I know you at Waterloo?
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com