API's and the such (OT)

David Flynn Dave at keston.u-net.com
Mon Oct 2 21:33:15 GMT 2000

> David Flynn wrote:
> >
> > Our school has thought about buying comerical software for things such
as
> > web proxying and access controll etc ... and a few other management
> > programs.  They are faced with the huge cost of licences, as our
(extreemly
> > poor network service providor) does tend to like things that use
licenses,
> > especially if they can force you into buying 1 MS one and 1 of theirs
per
> > client !! ... well ive been working on some solutions (using a(n ex NT
> > server) linux box the school kindly donated to me) for them, and they
> > require things such as user enumeration from the PDC [...]
>
> Just FYI, we have had good luck using a Squid cache with TNG's
> rpcclient for authenticating users based on NT groups on the PDC.
> It gives us a low-key, Linux-based, web cache without any additional
> overhead in terms of NT domain/user management.  Squid allows pretty
> much any arbitrary command for authentication.  Ours is now an
> rpcclient domain group membership check.
>
> - Kevin Colby

Kevin,
            we did consider that as an option, but we dont actually provide
an authentication service, its more a redirector and AC system, we do use
squid as the proxy/cache, but we wrote our own daemon that sat "infront" of
the squid proxy ... i agree, if it were authentication, we would do it that
way.

I think thats what you mean ....

(how do you find out the user logged on at the workstation ?)

Ta,
Dave
---------------------------------------
The information in this e-mail and any files sent with it is confidential to
the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may
also be legally privileged. It is not to be relied upon by any person other
than the addressee except with the sender's prior written approval. If no
such approval is given, the sender will not accept liability (in negligence
or otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from
acting, on such information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part
of it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error
please notify the sender immediately, destroy any copies and delete it from
your computer system. Have a nice Day !