API's and the such

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Mon Oct 2 21:04:12 GMT 2000

David Flynn wrote:

> Our school has thought about buying comerical software for things such as
> web proxying and access controll etc ... and a few other management
> programs.  They are faced with the huge cost of licences, as our (extreemly
> poor network service providor) does tend to like things that use licenses,
> especially if they can force you into buying 1 MS one and 1 of theirs per
> client !! ... well ive been working on some solutions (using a(n ex NT
> server) linux box the school kindly donated to me) for them, and they
> require things such as user enumeration from the PDC [...]

Just FYI, we have had good luck using a Squid cache with TNG's
rpcclient for authenticating users based on NT groups on the PDC.
It gives us a low-key, Linux-based, web cache without any additional
overhead in terms of NT domain/user management.  Squid allows pretty
much any arbitrary command for authentication.  Ours is now an
rpcclient domain group membership check.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com