Proposal for modifying Get_Pwnam() [Re: couple of getpwnam()questions]

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Nov 27 04:22:19 GMT 2000

okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp wrote:

> 1. Why did you not make "AS-IS" test first?
> # I thought this is the easiest, and yet highest possible...

Because I have never met a UNIX sysadmin which did not
use lower case usernames.  Also remember that all Win9x clients
transmit the username in upper case.

I don't really care either way, but I think a lower case
username will match first in most circumstances.

> 2. I wonder what will happen if Japanese version of Windows Client
>   having username of Japanese......
>   Maybe we should make Get_Pwnam() as 'pointer to function',
>   and leave the way to switch to correct one according to 'coding
>   system' option.

I would assume the local getpwnam() call should handle
the foreighn characters.  But I am by no means someone
who should be talking about foreigh character support :-)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org