Samba 2.2.0alpha1 snapshot released

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Fri Nov 24 02:53:49 GMT 2000

At 02:27 PM 24/11/2000 +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 12:17:55PM +1100, David Bannon wrote:
>> If its just for local use, don't make an rpm, do make, make install
>
>Don't give Redhat that much credit - all the rpm is is a wrapper around make
>commands :-)

I guess I'm unclear about what you are asking. Are you questioning why
samba is looking for a smbpasswd file or are you questioning why its
looking for it in /etc/smbpasswd ?

Samba will look for a smbpasswd if its configured to do so, ie if its not
told to look to an external source for authentication and if its not
looking for plain text passwds (yuk!).

Samba will look for smbpasswd (if it does so) in the place its told to look
during compile (as a result of configure).

>I mean - is no-one else seeing this??? Or does everyone else use smbpasswd
>and don't bother talking to NT domain controllers? (I think not).

Unlikely, but I certainly have not tested it ! Somebody must have, please ?

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au