External Samba library interface

Matt Peterson mpeterson at calderasystems.com
Tue Nov 21 21:09:29 GMT 2000

It occured to me that there may be some opinions about the interface
that is exposed in a externally usable Samba client library.  Our plans
to simply expose the internal interfaces (the cli_ functions, etc) may
not desireable to developers.  Would it be more appropriate to expose
something similar to the smblib (http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/smblib/)
interface that Richard Sharpe worked on several years ago?

Advantages of the exposing internal cli_ interface is that the library
could be used by current samba client apps without code modification.
The disadvantage of the internal cli_ interface is that is may be too
low-level for what is needed by SMB client app developers.

Any comments?

--
Matthew Peterson
Sr. Software Engineer