Automake and libtool for Samba

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Tue Nov 21 14:19:16 GMT 2000

On Nov 21, 2000, David Collier-Brown <David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com> wrote:

> 	If a portability tool makes it harder to achieve
> 	portability, it tends to annoy the peron using it (;-))

The main problem I've seen in my experience with adopters of libtool
is when they want to do non-portable things, and complain that the
portability tools get in their way.  Nobody said portability was easy,
but development versions of libtool have made it easier for
maintainers to bend portability rules and pass whatever
system-specific flags they want to the compiler and linker.