Automake and libtool for Samba

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Nov 20 18:55:09 GMT 2000

Matt Peterson wrote:

> Automake and especially libtool have proven to be very valuable tools
> for building portable open source projects.  Before we get too far into
> this, it would be interesting to know why Samba does not use of these
> tools.

Historical reasons. We looked at moving to libtool and automake,
but we run on many more platforms than these are available for.

Moving to autoconf was originally difficult, I recall some
issues with using libtool but not exactly what they were I'm
afraid (Andrew - can you comment here ?).

> If there are no objections, our patch will also include full a
> automake/autoconf and libtool build system for all Samba binaries.
>
> Comments?

For HEAD (IMHO) this is probably ok. It may be more of
a problem for 2.2.

Jeremy.