long name shares

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Mon Nov 20 10:49:47 GMT 2000

Hi, I've seen NT is not able to use samba shares longer 12 chars.
While they are correctly shown as shares, tring to connect to this
shares throws an error.
I've tested on 2.0.7 and HEAD CVS.
I've also got a trace between NT4sp6 and HEAD and between 2 NT4sp6.
I got only an ethereal trace of the connection to the shares (a bit
difficult as running 2 NT4 and ethereal + gnome with 128M RAM is a Pain
:( )
What I've seen is that beetwen NT4sp6 and HEAD,
NT issues only SRV_NETSHAREENUM requests, samba answers correctly and NT
fail.
Instead beetwen the 2 NT I see TRANS2... packets and it works!

Is this connected to the kind of LANMAN protocol used?
(I see from logs that samba choose LM0.12)

Any cue?
--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451