SMB libray suitable for use in non-Samba projects

Matt Peterson mpeterson at calderasystems.com
Fri Nov 17 16:57:25 GMT 2000

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Matt Peterson wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone give me some information / background / anything on the use
> > of Samba code from a non-Samba application?  I was expecting to find
> > something as simple as a smb.h and libsmb.so that could be used like any
> > other utility library...  I've found the library, now I'm looking for a
> > header file (includes.h won't do the trick - it includes everything in
> > the Samba universe not just what would be needed to use libsmb).  I
> > believe I can make a header file that would work with libsmb code, but
> > before I spend time doing it, I though I'd see if anyone has a simpler
> > solution to the problem.
> >
> > Assuming that I have not missed a viable samba library solution is
> > there interest in an offer from Caldera to work on a libsamba and
> > what are the chances that the library would be an "official" Samba
> > build target?
>
> The code in libsmb is what you need to look at. It's nearly
> there as a library - the problem is it depends on other parts
> of Samba.

Agreed.  The problem is not that there is code missing, but that the
existing code is not organized to be built as a clean library -- most
obvious is the absence of an externally useable header file.  The
changes we will submit, as previously mentioned, can be summarized as a
new Samba build target "libsamba".  We expect that the majority of the
changes will be to the Makefiles with code changes limited to the header
files.

> If you can give the changes to make it a build target I'd
> be happy to integrate them.

I interpreted this as a "thumbs up" from the Samba team and requested
clearance from management to put my team to work on the project.  The
project was approved with a very strict schedule (2 or 3 weeks).  We are
making preparations to start working on the project beginning Monday
next week.

--
Matthew Peterson
Sr. Software Engineer