User authentication.

Dave P. davesmb at madmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:01:03 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am looking for advice and help on how to build
a user+password authentication process using libsmb.

I'd be most greatful if someone can help me out by referring me to some documentation or some URL or even explain to me how this should be done.

Now in more details, I have a network consisting of
an NT 4.0 server (which holds user+password information, a Linux which runs samba 2.0.7. And many pc's as clients.

I need to write a program on the LINUX machine that given
a user+password will contanct the NT server (either directly or through the smbd process - this i don't know)
and will just make a verification if the user+password do exist on the NT server and are correct.

some valuable information is that in the smb.conf file I
have security=domain  and encryption turned on.

My final goal, if this can shed more light on what I'm trying to do,  is to make an authentication process that will work with NCFTPD which is running on the LINUX machine.

I'd appreciate any help I can get...
If you can send me the answer directly to davesmb at madmail.com this would be great.

Thanks in advanced,

Dave.