Improved check for PAM in configure.in

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Nov 16 13:02:11 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have undertaken to generate an improved check for PAM for configure.in
for Samba 2.2.x

While I can check that the PAM libraries are on the system, it may be that
PAM is not actually in use, and some versions of Linux are like that.

The next step I can do is to check for /etc/pam.d/samba, with something like

   AC_CHECK_FILE(/etc/pam.d/samba, [ blah blah ...], [blah blah ...])

However, this is not very portable ... Solaris does not use the same format
as Linux does these days, and I am not sure what wierd OSes like HP/UX and
DU do when they have PAM installed (as part of CDE for example).

Can anyone suggest a better check? Perhaps I can simply wrap it in a Linux
check and punt for other OSes.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com