fix to util_sock.c

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Mon Nov 13 13:19:58 GMT 2000

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > We actually used to use this instead of read() on sockets,
> > but one of the earlier versions of Solaris I recall has a
> > horrible bug in recv which causes this to fail. I think
> > FreeBSD at some point had a problem with this also.
>
> yep, we switched to recv() in the head branch in May 99 and found that
> recv() is completely broken on Solaris 2.5. We switched back in
> November 99.

	Is this still true, and what was the problem so I can
	see if we think it's fixed?

	I have a bug report fixed in '94  that EPIPE might not
	be delivered, causing the machine to spin forever, and
	another about disconnected sockets misbehaving in 2.5.1
	I wonder if it the bug is one we fixed in a later release.

	If so, we might be able to phase out the workaround over
	time. I can arrange to test on Solaris 6 through pre-alpha
	9 if that would help.

--dave (wearing his work hat) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown, | Always do right. This will gratify some
Performance & Eng.   | people and astonish the rest. -- Mark Twain
Sun Canada (ACE)     | davecb at canada.sun.com
(905) 415-2849       | http://elsbeth.canada.sun.com/~davecb

Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com