fix to util_sock.c

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Nov 13 03:18:33 GMT 2000

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 01:56:32PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> >
> > First, I understand and agree with our points about read() vs. recv().
> > There is a lot of experience on the Team that defies textbook "good
> > practice".  I learned this the hard way myself.  Samba, by its very
> > nature, is an adaptation to the harsh realities of the world.
> >
> > Your approach to performance fixes, however, belies a certain
> > benchmark-oriented point of view.  The kind of streamlining you describe
> > is *very important*, but it isn't the only way to improve the code.  For
> > example, I got good feedback from you, and others, on the work I've done
> > simply rationalizing some of the modules.  Our code, in some places, is
> > dense and messy.  It doesn't get fixed because a) it works, and b) it is
> > not on any critical path.  That doesn't mean that it's the 'right'.
>
> Ah yes, I see what you mean. I do appreciate making the code
> simpler and more maintainable, but I was referring to the
> specific read vs. recv point - you're right - we should
> have added comments when we discovered this bug to save the
> time and effort of other people.

By rights (since I opened my big fat virtual mouth) I should volunteer to
add the comments.  Er..., it's just that I'm packing for my overseas
flight just now and I'm moving into a new office in the morning and I'm
supposed to be designing a 1000-station wireless network....

Could someone grab this one?

Thnax!

Chrudz -)-----

> Buying an operating system without source is like buying
> a self-assembly Space Shuttle with no instructions.

Ooooh!  I got one mail order!  Came with extra heat-shield tiles and a big
bucket o' rocket fuel.  Wonder if I can use it to start a charcoal grill.