RFC: passdb redesign

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Nov 10 18:03:55 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
> >
> > Yes, you are right.
> > At this point I think it is redundant to have user uid
> > and gid in sam_passwd. smbd should check for username
> > and retrieve the RID, check system (getpwnam?) and retrieve
> > the UID and then store in a temporary cache uid<->rid
> > mapping.
>
> sam_passwd is the uid<->rid mapping cache.  The uid/gid fields
> are filled in via a call to getpwnam() after the user_struct is
> retreived from the passdb backend.

Ok I was viewing from the actual tdbpass and smbpass point of view as
these backends actually stores also the uid, obviously this backends no
longer need to store the uid(gid) this fileds should be removed (tdb) or
ignored smbpasswd.

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451