virtual line printer test program

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Fri Nov 10 00:14:08 GMT 2000

I've written a small test program that basically pretends to be a
printer and supports all the standard printer operations
(pause/resume queues, pause/resume/cancel jobs) but doesn't need
an actual printer there.

This turns out to be a much better test harness for testing
things related to printers as it behaves more like a real
printer as all the status and job information is stored in a tdb
and less like a dodgy collection of shell scripts.  (-:

The virtual line printer requires its own lpq_parse.c routines
and so a new printing type.  I was thinking of being able to do
something like this

[global]
	printing = vlp

[testprn1]
	printable = true

[testprn2]
	printable = true

and be able to print happily to these test printers without
having to worry that they really exist.

Would anyone else find this useful?  Any feature requests?  (-:

Tim.