nmblookup won't query node status

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 19:27:16 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> > These work for me. You didn't say what OS or what version of Samba
> > you were using. Have you tried rebooting the client and then running
> > nmblookup? I have found that sometimes the client will stop
> > responding to nmblookup and after a reboot works again.
>
> Mike, you might also try running nbtstat from a Windows box to see if you
> get a response.

Ok - against a different box:-

# nmblookup -S syrma
querying syrma on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.148 syrma<00>
Looking up status of 192.168.1.148

C:\>nbtstat -a syrma

       NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

   Name               Type         Status
SYRMA          <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
MILKY-WAY      <00>  GROUP       Registered
SYRMA          <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
IM             <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
SYRMA          <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
MILKY-WAY      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-E0-29-1C-C8-70

Samba version 2.0.7, Linux 2.0.36, all clients are NTWS, SP6. Thing is -
it used to work. No idea what stopped it. It's consistently screwed -
rebooting the clients doesn't help.

I can, however look up registered names:-

# nmblookup -S im#03
querying im on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.148 im<03>
Looking up status of 192.168.1.148