Adding workstation to a samba pre 3.0 controlled domain

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Nov 7 22:15:29 GMT 2000

Simo Sorce wrote:

> I've tested to insert an Nt wks in a samba HEAD
> controlled domain providing my samba controller admin
> username and password in the network dialog NT give you
> when you want to join a domain.

There is probably so much code broken in HEAD in
the respect (auto creating the machine account when joining
the domain).  I know Luke had it working in TNG.  the
best place to start is to figure out what calls are needed,
which ones are not implemented, and examine the encryption
implemented in these calls in TNG.

> The action failed and from logs (level 10) I saw the
> problem is in user name handling.
> pstring_sub calls string_sub that will substitute the %u
> tag with the username but will also modify the
> string, infact:

There's a better way to do this I think.  Check out TNG
and compare first.  Since that work has already been done. :-)

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org
       http://www.plainjoe.org/                     jerry at plainjoe.org