Samba login

Kenichi Okuyama okuyamak at dd.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Nov 7 01:36:52 GMT 2000

Dear all,

BS> I highly recommend that Samba provide the option for a VFS to supply an
BS> enhanced readdir that also returns stat information. Depending upon the VFS
BS> implementation, this could be implemented easily. It definitely would be
BS> easy for one VFS implementation that I'm aware of.

How about hiding those information inside something like "Directory Object"?
And then, making "Dicretory Object" as device (OS?) dependent.

Directory IO kind of thing is one of what I think should be separated
clearly from major code, and being strongly device dependent, tuned
for individual devices, for this is one of the sales point for OS,
and since so, OS have many "SPECIAL FUNCTIONALITIES".

Also, some information might be sharable among process, in some
systems. We can also hide such cases as well.

By the way, other is File/Socket/PIPE IO. Current Samba seems to mix
up all these three for some cases, but implementation should be
totally different between File, TCP, PIPE and UDP.
# Some can be cached, others can't. Some OS have sendfile() system
# calls, others don't have it. Some can seek, others can't.
# Some can be swithced to shared memory for better performance,
# others can't. Some can be peeked, others can't.

And those two, means "ENTIRE ROOT" of samba.
----
Kenichi Okuyama at Tokyo Research Lab. IBM-Japan, Co.