smbsh issues w/ samba-2.0.7

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Mon Nov 6 19:47:56 GMT 2000

Jelmer Feenstra wrote:

> You're completely right, but I personally would like another approach (one I
> proposed a while ago on this list).
>
> How about a coda-like implementation of an smb filesystem ? A userspace
> daemon would do all filesystem related stuff (reading, writing, listing) and
> this daemon would be called from within the kernel (sort of userfs in the
> kernel -> coda is actually a sort of  example of this).
>
> This way all of the smbprotocol specific implementation would be done in
> userspace, however you'd be able to just mount the 'network neighbourhood
> filesystem' and browse away !
>
> Doesn't that seem possible ? (I didn't get any useful replies a while ago)

Yes, SCO had a version of this that the VisionFS team
developed. It was essentially an nfs->smb gateway that
acted as a user level NFS server, and mapped to SMB on
the fly.

Now that Caldera own SCO they may be interested in Open
Sourcing this stuff (hmmm. Maybe VisionFS also !).

I'll ask "our people in Caldera" :-) for details.

Jeremy.