Word 2000 deletes files on save

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Fri Nov 3 14:23:10 GMT 2000

[Moved to samba at samba.org for initial discussion]

Daniël Mantione wrote:
> - There is a Word document on a Samba server.
> - This file is owned by user1.
> - User2 has write permission on this file.
> - User2 opens the file in Word 2000 on an windows machine.
> - He modifies the document.
> - He saves it.
> - An error message occurs, it says that the disk is full.
> - An 'save as' window opens. When you click on cancel, the original
>   document is DELETED.
> - Some *.tmp remain in the directory.

	Some Windows products rename the current file to
	.bak (or whatever) on startup, create a new file
	and start editing that. We're familiar with that,
	and have options to set the permissions correctly
	on these new files (force create mode, etc) when
	needed.

	Others create a copy and rename that as the last step.
	In this case, too, we will need the permissions on
	the original and the copy to be correct.

 Q163699 says:		One of the actions Word takes is to move
the current file into a temporary file using the MoveFile API call
in Windows NT. When this call is resolved through  Novell's redirector,
it returns with a failure. This causes Word to return the error
message above.

	This is therefor the second case, and I can think
	of at least one scenario that will fail.

	- The group permission allows the file to be written by
	user 2
	- he opens it, creating a temp file. This temp file
	does not have group write.
	- he saves the file once, causing the file to be mv'd,
	which replaces the file with group write with one without
	group write.  (Optionally, Word auto-saves, doing the
	same thing)
	- he saves it again, but this time he can't write.

	To see if this is what's happening, check the permissions
	on the real and temporary files.   If it is, change the
	create modes to suit.

	Also see
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/0/31.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0
	which says:
NOTE: Microsoft Office 2000 has built-in functionality that allows
you to get more information about  difficult-to-troubleshoot alerts
or error messages. If you want to enable this functionality for this
and other error messages in Microsoft Office 2000, please download the
Microsoft Office 2000 Customizable Alerts file from the Microsoft Office
Update Web site at the following address:

       http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/downloadDetails/alerts.htm

	This would be good if you're using Office's Word.

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com