sidlc: generated files in cvs

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Wed May 31 18:08:11 GMT 2000

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 12:02:22PM -0400, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:
[...]
> > On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 11:15:23AM -0400, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 	One thing you should be aware of is that automake-generated
> > > Makefile.ins will produce Makefiles requiring GNU make.
> >
> > Short answer: No.
> >
> > Long answer: Yes, but only, if you do ./configure
> > --enable-maintainer-mode.
> >
> 	Huh.  Okay, never mind then. :P
>
> 	Hrm... would this be an issue with packages that didn't use
> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE though?  i.e. does automake/autoconf include the
> maintainer rules by default in that case?  I have actually had my head
> bitten off by users over this.

Ummm...

I'm not completely sure... In nearly all of the packages, I
was interested in / maintain myself, configure.in has
AM_MAINTAINER_MODE.

But while you ask, I remember some other GNU make
dependency-issue: automake also generates two sorts of
Makefile.ins: One in the usual devel-tree, which is nearly
always GNU make dependent and one, when you run "make
dist", which generates a nice PACAKAGE-VERSION.tar.gz.
Those Makefile.ins should be highly portable. They become
less portable, when you configure --enable-maintainermode
(provided, you allowed it with AM_MAINTAINER_MODE).

This all runs down to what I originaly wrote: If you get
sidlc from cvs, you will need a bunch of tools, those
include autoconf, automake, bison, flex, but also gmake and
gcc.
If you are ever able to get a "release", you will only need
the usual Unix-tools (sed, shell, ...), cc and make.
(precisely the same, you already need for a samba-release)

    Elrond