sidlc: generated files in cvs

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Wed May 31 15:41:10 GMT 2000

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 11:15:23AM -0400, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:
[...]
> 	One thing you should be aware of is that automake-generated
> Makefile.ins will produce Makefiles requiring GNU make.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, but only, if you do ./configure
--enable-maintainer-mode.

The main point of automake is to generate Makefiles, which
are GNU conform, and one of these conformance-points is to
be able to use any make. Many GNU packages now use
automake, and they don't force you to have GNU make.

If you configure --enable-maintermode, you get some
features, including automatic dependency-tracking and stuff
like that. These require GNU make and gcc.

Oh, and if you have any GNU package, that does not compile
with a non-GNU make, you should file a bug-report for
automake (unless something explicitly states, that you
require GNU make. If so, I'd be curious, where this is)

If I'm completely wrong, please give me some pointers to
docs, that state the correct situation. But I'm quite sure,
cause I followed gimp-development quite closely and gimp
used automake, when it hadn't even be released
(0.somethingalpha)

    Elrond