"Inherit Permissions" request for comments

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Wed May 31 12:21:44 GMT 2000

Erick Woods wrote:

> NT's default behavior is UNIX+setgid, except that the gid carries (is
> inherited) down into the directory structure.  Kyle's method exactly mimicks
> NT, but does not allow for David's exception.  I think that David's
> exception is just that, an exception.  If a goal is to mimick an NT server,
> then it should, by default, behave the same.

	That's ok, so long as you don't try so hard to mimic
	NT that you blow Unix (;-)).  If

	Seriously, though, I use the "one sentence/one paragraph"
	rule when deciding on features in my open programs: if
	I can't describe an independant option in one sentence
	and a set of interdependant options in one paragraph,
	I know I've blown something. [Thus the comment in a
	"Using Samba".]

	I agree our user community is Windows, and want to
	avoid confusing them, but I want to retain the ability
	to adapt perticular shares to particular purposes in
	a unix-is-programmable way.

	[Security in a later message]

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com