"Inherit Permissions" request for comments

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Wed May 31 12:15:24 GMT 2000

David Lee wrote:
> >       This seems sane, and hopefully will reduce the effective
> >       complexity of the various create mask options...
>
> .. except that "inherit permissions" already overrides all the "create
> mask" options, even those called "force ...".  Thus all that complexity is
> not only reduced, it is removed when "inherit ..." is the determinant.

	The simplification is good, but the loss of precision
	annoying...

> In another message, just posted, I suggest a new:
>   inherit group owner = { yes | no }

	Which avoids going down the inherit/force/security path at all,
	and is itself simple. Cool!

	[A challenge to the group: explain the relationship
	between the inherit/whatever options in one paragraph.
	I can't, which means I can't explain it to others.]

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com