Are LANMAN job numbers limited to 16 bits?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun May 28 17:30:26 GMT 2000

James Sutherland <jas88#cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2000, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> > Correct it is an "errr".  It is 256 values.  That does not change the
> > magnatude of the problem though. :-)

> Although since it's a *16* bit number in effect, the limit is really 65536
> jobs in the queues at once on any given Samba server. This is less likely
> to be a problem...

For SAMBA 2.0.6 this would require me to rewrite printing.c for an OpenVMS
specific version.  The existing SAMBA-VMS 2.0.3 does this to some degree.

To do this correctly, I would really want to update the printing routines in
IPC.C to fill in the values that VMS can provide.

However I have seen a number of CVS commits that the printing code is
changing in a way that may make implementing an OpenVMS specific version
easier.

I am hoping one those experts working on this area might know a more elegant
solution.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network