Are LANMAN job numbers limited to 16 bits?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat May 27 23:58:32 GMT 2000

Hello SAMBA experts,

Examining the source code for printing in SAMBA 2.0.6 shows that the
messages generated to contain print job numbers only have room for 16 bits.

Of this, SAMBA is only preserving the bottom 8 bits of the job number and
encoding the service number in the upper 8 bits.

This leaves me in a quandary.  On OpenVMS, the job number is 32 bits.  This
job number is unique with in all queues in a cluster of systems.

Passing a truncated job number to a delete job command could have disastrous
consequences.

I am looking for suggestions as to what to do in this case.  It is not safe
to implement the delete print job command under these conditions.

The service number is not important to be preserved on OpenVMS, as the job
number will indicate the correct queue.  That only gets me 16 of the 32 bits
that are needed though.

I have been seeing a lot of CVS activity involving updates to the printing
section so any suggestions?

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network