Samba write performance anomaly

Kenichi Okuyama okuyama at trl.ibm.co.jp
Fri May 26 08:39:44 GMT 2000

>>>>> "JRvB" == J Robert von Behren <jrvb at cs.berkeley.edu> writes:
JRvB>    * registers a function with atexit() to twidle filenames, and prevent
JRvB> the various smbd processes from overwriting each other's gmon.out files.

I think I can help you with this.

If you are using glibc2.1( this only means I haven't looked at other
versions of glibc ), all you need to do is set environment variable
named "GMON_OUT_PREFIX". If this is being set, exit() will generate
file named like "$GMON_OUT_PREFIX.$PID", instead of "gmon.out".

With this, gmon.out will not be overritten.
#Though, you still need to find out which process did what....

... I beleave this will work with all the FSF-made libc.

But, we still have problem, ticks per second in gmon.out is still
100. But if you are to look into smbd, you'll need more percise
information about time ( this is because now-a-day computers are too
fast ;). I still havn't found any clues about this.

regards,
----
Kenichi Okuyama.