Chase your tail when doing a search

Ray Horner hints_tips at hotmail.com
Wed May 24 18:13:57 GMT 2000

Hi!

I was wondering if there is anyway to avoid the annoying bug whereby samba
doesnt know it has hit a recursive link.  If you do a search from Winnt of a
UNIX samba share, if it sees a directory such as:

drwxrwsrwx   2 root  root      512 Dec  8 14:54 foobar -> .

it goes mental trying to follow the link and search that directory again and
again.  With Samba 2.0.7 it chews up 20-30% CPU of even our huggest servers.
  With samba 2.0.6 it would occasionly go off the chart and panic the
server!

If anyone has any clues it would be HUGELY appreciated, otherwise I am going
to have to dust off a very very old programming hat and attempt a hack.

Thanks

Ray