stat cache underused

Stephen Gildea gildea at intouchsys.com
Wed May 24 00:37:17 GMT 2000

The "stat cache" seems like a great idea, but it isn't used everywhere
it perhaps could be.  I see lots of calls to dos_stat() in the "trans"
source code, and I wonder if they wouldn't be better going through the
stat cache.

I found this investigating why a compile of a C file being served by
Samba was so slow.  It appears the MSVC complier does lots of pathinfo
requests on the same files and directories when finding header files,
and these turn into lots of stat system calls on the server.

Also, it is not clear to me how items expire from the cache.  What do
people think about changing the "stat cache" parameter from a boolean
to the number of milliseconds the cache entries are valid for?

We are running Samba 2.0.7.

 < Stephen